Monday, December 19, 2005

Nuts to the Nutcracker?

In one of life's deepest ironies, a performance of The Nutcracker that I was scheduled to attend on Saturday with my mother and sisters was canceled due to--get this--a dancers' strike.

I'm not hyperlinking to any articles out of the fear that they will quickly be out of date, but if you want more details, search Washington Ballet strike.

Although I will receive a refund for my tickets, I'm still trying to get my mind around the idea of dancers on strike. I didn't know artists needed to strike about things. I thought they were in a different category of workers, the "doing it for the love of it" category, not the "breathing in coal dust while trying to support my family" category.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

If you had ever worked for a ballet company you would understand. I used to work for one in Illinois(I was the wardrobe director) and dancers may be beautiful on the stage, but the minute they walk into the wings they become evil.

The dance world is a very dark world. It's very much a "dog eat dog" world.

They are artists, but generally speaking, they are also some of the most dysfunctional and hurting people I've ever encountered.