Monday, December 05, 2005

Quote Door

Every year my office door accumulates quotes written in colored ink on post-it notes. Then the quotes must be taken down in deference to my department's Christmas door-decorating contest.

I hate to lose these quotes, though. So here they are.

Dove chocolate wrappers
"Chocolate . . . who needs a reason?"

"Decorate your life."

"Make 'someday' today."

"Sometimes one smile means more than a dozen roses."


People I know
"You're the type that will write great novels and influence the rest of history." KT to me

"I feel like the toilet paper fairy." Donna

"We are two Americans in search of Masterpiece Theater." My aunts while visiting England

"It's not so much the size of your mouth or the volume of the communication that proceeds therefrom, it's more the content that makes you so fascinating." John Caleb to me

"Whenever I think of you, I always think of the scene in The Wizard of Oz where Dorothy and her three pals have finally made it to the Emerald City, but they have to get cleaned up before they see the wizard. The tin man gets placed under this huge buffing machine to polish him, and that's how I see my dear editors." Attorney at my organization whose work I frequently edit


People I don't know
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Unknown

"The multitude of books is making us ignorant." Voltaire

"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people." Thomas Mann

"Without silence words lose their meaning." Henri Nouwen

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public." Bryan White

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots; the other, wings." Hodding Carter

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde

"You will lead a rich and successful life." From a fortune cookie

"Pass no day in idleness or you will be beaten." Amenemope, ancient Egyptian scribe, to his pupils

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer

"I used to wake up at 4 a.m. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness." James Thurber


Cartoon
Church secretary to the Grim Reaper: "You'll just have to take a seat and wait. I have a newsletter that has to go out."


Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

1 comment:

Kit said...

Those are great! :-)