Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Time to Pull Out the Michael Card CDs . . .

Right now, I feel like a patient in a hospital in a Pee-wee Herman movie and the nurse is reading my vital signs and writing on a chart,
Heart: Appears that it is being used for target practice.
Body: Demonstrating symptoms similar to that of a CDC lab rat.
Right brain: Holding left brain hostage.
Soul: Is either a little, wrinkled gnome or a dung beetle. Biopsy necessary to determine which.
Then, when I ask her for morphine, she says it's against the doctor's orders.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."

I know that these times of heaviness are not often lifted by a single verse. I wish I could just quote Scripture and watch it wash your conscience and restore your hope. I can tell you, at least, that you are not as alone as you think. My heart ached when it learned that yours was wrung. We are members of the same body--all of us sigh when one of us cries. If we then, being members of the same body, share each other's sufferings, then how much more does the head of that body feel when it is pricked? Jesus does not scold us while he binds our wounds, he cries out and raises his hand to defend the offended member. He is compassionate and tender towards you.

Be not dismayed, sin shall not have dominion over you. Hope thou in God, and behold his salvation; the time soon comes when he shall awake with a shout like a strong man and delivers you from evil. (Ps. 78:65, Is. 42)

Lee Ann said...

Wish I knew who you were, Anonymous! I'm interested in the connection you're making between sin and suffering. They seem to be inextricably related, though not quite in the same way that the Pharisees thought when they asked Jesus whether it was the blind man or his parents who sinned.

Thanks for weighing in!

J R Phillips said...

I found this post hilarious and arrestingly poiniant (sp?) and the comment thought provoking to say the least.

Anonymous said...

Lee Ann,
Did you forget to have a cup of tea?