Saturday, January 27, 2007

Things I'm Thinking About

George Orwell advised readers of the Evening Standard how to make "A Nice Cup of Tea" in 1949. Was he right? I was surprised to discover that even though I don't follow all eleven of his guidelines, I see the wisdom in each. Even though I pour my milk in first, it's because I think that gives the final cup of tea a smoother flavor; whereas Orwell poured the milk in last because he wanted to precisely regulate the amount. Whatever floats your boat.

Although I'm an eleven-point Orwellian, I determined in the wee hours of the morning (woke up, couldn't go back to sleep) that I'm a one-point Calvinist. The point I hold to is perseverance of the saints. Maybe Calvin got more sleep than I do.

Randomly, the concept of sensory processing is also on my radar screen. Try it, you'll like it.

1 comment:

john said...

Having chemists for parents makes life fun. For example, Dad explained how milk gives tea a smoother flavor. The milk fats actually form a complex with the tannins (the stuff that gives tea, coffee, and wine a bitter taste) and protects your tastebuds from them.

I expect that whether you put it in first or last, you'll want to pay attention to some other factors as well, such as:

The amount of tea (more=more tannin)
The temperature of the water (hotter=faster steeping and...more tannin)
The length of steeping (again, more time=more tannin)

And then, of course, you're right to regulate the amount of milk, just as Eric Blair suggested. How, of course, is up to you.