Saturday, February 23, 2008

Back on the Menu

There are very few books that I read more than once, so it's saying a lot that I am reading the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries for the third time. Dorothy Sayers, I'm rediscovering, was a brilliant craftswoman. I'm going a bit more slowly this time, gleaning all the little details that I previously trampled on in my mad attempt to arrive at each mystery's solution. I'm looking up a lot of words in the dictionary. Know what a taradiddle is? No, I'm not going to tell you. I wouldn't steal from you the delight of looking it up and discovering for yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it have to do with a bell? Didn't you comment on their being a special name for a bell the last time you read the books? :) -Kara

Child of Grace said...

I am the opposite - I read my favorite books over and over again.

Dorothy Sayers, though, is well worth reading anytime. Have you ever read any of her nonfiction? "Letters to a Diminished Church" is an excellent collection of essays about Christianity.