Saturday, November 14, 2009

Book Discoveries

Yay! Just when I think to myself that there can't possibly be another good author out there, I discover that there is. Here are three series I am currently enjoying:
  • The Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters
  • Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles: Yes, I have a bloodthirsty side. Okay, maybe not. But I do love Rice's sensual prose and completely unpredictable plots. These stories are truly grandiose.
  • The Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester: My brother introduced me to these. Splendid writing full of nautical terminology that is so artfully used I can pretend I understand it. Humorous and harrowing adventures. A unique characteristic of Forester's storytelling is his pacing - sometimes crawling along through the moments, other times skipping blithely over whole days or even years. If I could start my life over, I think I'd give more careful consideration to becoming a sailor.

1 comment:

FIONA said...

I LOVE the Ellis Peters books. So glad you found them. Try to read them in order, if you can.