Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'll Risk Saying This

There's an article going around that was originally published in the member magazine of the Home Educators Association of Virginia. It's called "Exposing Major Blind Spots of Homeschoolers" and you can read it on Josh Harris's blog here. It's a pretty brave article with a lot of good points. But I find on element of it particularly upsetting, which is the idea of parents "having" their children's hearts. This is a popular idea within the homeschool community. It gives me the creeps. It's basically the idea that if parents love their kids just right, the kids will feel so secure and trusting in their parents' love that they will offer an extreme allegiance - allow their parents to "have" their hearts and therefore have control over their beliefs, emotions, and behavior. I know that some of you are going to think I'm exaggerating the meaning of this idea, and I might be, but not by much. I've spent most of my life in the homeschooling community and this particular idea is as dangerous as legalism or over-sheltering - it's just more subtle.

1 comment:

Kelly Sauer said...

I could really only skim that article, and that didn't stand out to me as it did to you - but my parents never did that with me, something for which I will always be grateful.