Skip to main content

Waking Up Is Hard to Do

Ever since I was six or so, I have battled alarm clocks. They've jolted me awake. I've turned them off. I've hit snooze. I've gone back to sleep. I've tried to awaken myself gently with the classical music station or Aaron Copland CDs. No matter what, I can't get out of bed when the alarm says I should.

When I was a child, my father and I would race after the school bus. As an adult, I was chronically late for work. I'm not a morning person. I don't sleep well and rarely feel rested. Lymies don't feel well in the mornings anyway, and it didn't help that I'm easily startled and was being shocked awake each day with the equivalent of those paddles they use on heart attack victims. All morning I'd feel groggy and queasy and antsy, with adrenaline pumping through me.

A couple years ago I got sick and had to stay home from work for a few days. When I was ready to get back to the office, I took it easy for a few alarm-clock-free mornings while I finished recovering.

I discovered that sans alarm clock, my mornings were more pleasant. And I wasn't getting to work any later than I had been. Anyway, I had only a few months left in the office before I planned to start freelancing, so I made a radical decision.

I quit using an alarm clock.

Since then (if you don't count my final months at the office when I don't think I managed a single on-time workday—gotta be honest here), I have never, not once, been late for a morning appointment or departure, however early it was. It's been two and a half years.

The night before, I tell myself what I need to accomplish in the morning before my appointment or whatever. Maybe I need to shower and eat breakfast and finish packing for a trip. I don't even figure out how much time I need to accomplish the stuff or what time I think I should get up. I just run through the tasks in my head and go to sleep. I awake just in time to do exactly what needs to be done.

I have a point, and it's not to say that I've finally discovered my superpower. (My real superpower is editing.) It applies to everyone, whether or not they can accomplish alarm-free feats.

We need to listen to our bodies more.

We're taught not to. Depending on our spiritual tradition, we might learn that the body is bad and wants to lead us astray. Depending on how our families operated, we might learn that our feelings don't matter. Doctors test us with instruments and technology, but sometimes discount our own perceptions of what's happening in our bodies. We don't learn a lot about the way emotions express themselves physically or the importance of intuition.

When my health started falling apart in my twenties, I was a classic example of someone divorced from my physical and emotional feelings. Because of the way I had learned to tolerate and ignore pain, it took me years to take my symptoms seriously and see a doctor, and then it was hard for me to interpret, explain, and track how I was feeling. It took five years for me to get a diagnosis. I realize that's way better than what other people experience in getting a Lyme diagnosis, but I still believe that if I'd been more in tune with my body at the time, things would have gone faster.

Ignoring my body's signals also meant that I was regularly getting in relationships with unkind people and getting into situations that weren't right for me. I wasn't paying attention to the anxiety that churned through me, warning me that certain people were unsafe or that I was pushing myself past my limits.

For a few years after my Lyme diagnosis, I was extra kind to myself and tried not to force myself to do anything that felt uncomfortable. Of course there were still a lot of people I had to be around, and things I had to do, that exacerbated my symptoms. But I did my best to treat myself with kid gloves.

I think that was good for me because even though it felt extreme at times, it gave me space to heal and recalibrate. For example, I learned how to perceive small sensations that I hadn't paid attention to before. I had to rebalance my idea of how much pain is too much pain and what's manageable and what's negligible. I also had to learn that physical pain and negative emotions aren't going to destroy me, so I don't have to cut myself off from feeling them.

I think part of the reason so many people, especially religious people, mistrust the body is that they know the wires can get crossed and our bodies can send us the wrong signals. The problem is, we throw the body out with the bathwater rather than tuning in and trying to understand it better.

One of my favorite bloggers, Genevieve, says this:
My body has never been completely perfect or completely flawed. My body is just a vessel and no matter how much emotional or physical suffering it has brought me, I understand that my body above all else is just trying to exist. . . . This body is a gift, a curse, a challenge, and most of all a map to always find my way back to my heart. (Ship with No Sails, "This Body Is a Lesson")
For years I thought my problems getting out of bed in the morning had to do with a lack of self-discipline. I didn't realize that the alarm clocks I was relying on were distorting my body's ability to function, which in turn caused me to mistrust my body's knowledge of exactly what time to wake up. Maybe it seems silly, but realizing I don't need alarm clocks has reassured me that I can trust my body to guide me. That's why it was given to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Waste Time When You Could Be Watching a Zombie Movie

Today I read one of those horrible articles that the internet seems to have been designed for, consisting of 40 tips for becoming as successful as the author: "How to Live a Full Life (and Leave Nothing on the Table) by 30." Yes, that's really the title. Normally I wouldn't publish a blog post in response, but because I managed to Come Down with a Chronic Illness (and Achieve Basically Nothing Else) by 30 and Am Currently Feeling the Aftereffects of One of the Treatments I Periodically Take, Which Causes Me to Feel High and Lose My Inhibitions, I'm just going to go for it. (Author's point #33: "Seriously, You Can Do Whatever You Want." Why thank you, young man, I think I will!)

The author's name is Ryan Holiday, and he has published several books. It sounds like he is also very wealthy, because note point #15, "Sooner Is Not Better," where he says he had a weird goal of becoming a millionaire by 25, but it didn't happen until after

Lyme Recovery, Seven Years In

When I first got my Lyme diagnosis, I went to the library and borrowed all the books on Lyme disease I could find (there were only three, if I recall correctly). One book was the personal account of a woman whose undiagnosed Lyme crossed her placenta and infected her unborn son, who later died in childhood after horrific symptoms. That book and a second featured images of magnified ticks, and I would peek through the pages taking care not to accidentally touch the photographs. I realized I might never have children. I returned the books to the library.

The third book was Biography of a Germ by Arno Karlen, a scientific essay on the Lyme spirochete. I didn't finish it because I took it back to the library as part of my stop-scaring-myself-silly dragnet. But I remembered it fondly. The author methodically explored the Lyme bacteria, Borrelia burdorferi, as an organism in its own right, a marvel of evolutionary survival that relies on a complex chain of ticks, small ani…

Me Eve, You Adam

Recently a male friend read Paradise Lost, as part of a book group that was predominately women. How I would have loved to be a fly on that wall.

I told him what I always say to people reading Milton for the first time: He was an incredible poet, but a horrible man who who portrayed the mother of all humanity as a bimbo, perpetuating an offensive stereotype as some sort of religious reality. Oh, don't get me started on this guy. I become incoherent talking about him.

After the book club meeting, my friend texted me: You were right about Milton's Eve!

I laughed for a long time at that. Then I got to thinking. What if Eve had been created first, Adam had sinned first, and Milton had been a woman?
Reverse Paradise Lost Note: Since I could not hope to parody Milton's splendid poetry, I have written this in play form. Please imagine that what follows is an excerpt of an entire work. Book II. Eve: I have completed my monumental task of naming all the animals, and I have greatly e…